I came up with this recipe from the pantry, knowing I needed something that I could reheat easily for lunches all week. It’s good alone, or over rice. I like to add some diced avocado and fresh pico de gallo right before serving!
- 1, 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (no salt added/low sodium)
- 2, 15.5 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed (I like the organic variety with sea salt – slightly less sodium)
- 1, 15 oz can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed (Trader Joe’s also has these organic with sea salt)
- 1, 16 oz can of fat free refried black beans
- 2, 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained (no salt added/low sodium)
- 1, 4 oz can of diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup of hatch valley flame roasted green chiles
- 3 TB taco seasoning (I use my homemade version)
- 20 oz (roughly – that’s just what my package had, I think you could go anywhere from a pound to a pound and a half) boneless, skinless chicken thighs (you could also use breasts, I had thighs on hand.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings/add ins: sliced green onions, fresh chopped cilantro, diced avocado, pico de gallo, shredded cheddar or other cheese, sour cream or greek yogurt. You can also serve over brown rice.
- Place all ingredients other than chicken into slow cooker and mix.
- Add chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.
- With around 30 minutes left in the cooking time, remove chicken, shred and return to crockpot. Taste, adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve with desired toppings/add ins.