I have returned from summer vacation, and dusted off the kitchen. I like to ease back into things, and
the leaches are still home with me 24/7 my children are still off school until next week, so I needed an easy make ahead lunch to get me back in the swing of things! Also, I learned while on vacation that at least one person actually really enjoys my food and meal planning. One is enough to keep me going – thanks Carol. 🙂
for some stupid reason no one has ever adequately explained to me, despite the fact that summer is not going to be over for at least 3 more months, unlike civilized parts of the country, where they wait until after Labor Day, schools are either already back in session, or starting in early August. So we are transitioning from the unstructured days of summer break back into the schedules and activities of the school year. I hope this one helps you meal plan and prep, whatever stage you are in in your part of the world.
Turkey Taco Bowls/8 Servings
- 5 c. cooked brown rice (you can use white too, I won’t tell your trainer or dietician)
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 bag of frozen peppers and onions (like these from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 lb of ground turkey, 93% lean (or whatever ground meat you like!)
- 1 c frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 can of rotel
- 1 1/2 c. of black beans, cooked from dried, or 1, 14.5 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 TB taco seasoning
- 2 tsp dried cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add bell peppers and onions and saute, until heated through and softened, 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, divide cooked rice evenly among 8 containers. I really like these Pyrex dishes, because I can freeze them, keep them in the fridge, remove the lids and use in the microwave and so on. I used both the 4 c. and the 2 c. size for this recipe because, well, when I started making it, I thought it would make four lunches, but it made 8. And I only have 4 of each.
- Once peppers and onions are cooked, divide among the 8 containers.
- Using the same pan, brown the ground turkey, breaking up into small pieces until cooked through.
- Add taco seasoning, and stir to coat turkey evenly.
- Add corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, rotel and cilantro and stir to blend. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes so that flavors can blend.
- Top rice and peppers and onions with the turkey mixture. Garnish with green onions and lime wedges if desired!
- Eat right away, or store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. I’m planning to freeze a few of them as well!
- You can also add the usual tacos garnishes before serving, if desired: cheese, salsa, maybe a few chips to convince the kiddos it’s good.
Pingback: Make Ahead Lunches (Subtitle: Why I Sometimes Don’t Eat Lunch – Part 2) | Plan Prep Pour
Pingback: 2018 Monday Meal Plan: Week 3 (January 15 through 21) | Plan Prep Pour
Pingback: 2018 Monday Meal Plan: Week 7 (February 5-11) | Plan Prep Pour