It’s a gloomy day in Phoenix – one of those days that feels a lot colder than the thermometer reads, and chili sounds like the ideal dinner. I came up with this based largely on ingredients in my pantry and freezer, while avoiding the grocery store.
*Bonus* The leftovers would be delicious on a baked Idaho or sweet potato!
Ingredients (Serves 8-10):
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1 diced red/purple onion
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 TB taco seasoning (if watching sodium, consider making your own…here’s my blend – Taco Seasoning)
- 1 lb dried black beans, soaked according to package directions
- 1/2 lb dried navy or other small white bean, soaked according to package directions
- 4 c beef broth
- 2, 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes (no salt added), undrained
- 1 can or bottle of beer (I like Dos Equis – or you can sub more broth or water)
- 2 c water
- 1 c frozen corn
- 2 TB of canned green chiles
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook, breaking up with wooden spoon.
- When beef is cooked through, add taco seasoning and stir, cooking for 2 additional minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients other than optional cilantro and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and simmer for 30 more minutes, or until beans are cooked and chili is desired consistency.
- Immediately before serving, stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Lime wedges (to squeeze the juice)
- Sour cream or nonfat plain greek yogurt
- Shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Green onions
- Pico de gallo or other salsa
- Cornbread or tortilla chips
Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan – January 9 through January 15, 2017 | Plan Prep Pour
Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan, February 13 through 19, 2017 | Plan Prep Pour
Pingback: Make Ahead Lunches (Subtitle: Why I Sometimes Don’t Eat Lunch – Part 2) | Plan Prep Pour
Pingback: 2018 Monday Meal Plan: Week 10 (February 26 through March 4) | Plan Prep Pour