This chicken is great over brown rice, with toppings such as salsa, guacamole, sour cream and/or cheese and a few tortilla chips on the side to keep the kids happy! When I am looking to save some calories, I skip the rice and the chips and have it over a bed of greens, taco salad style.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 24 ounces
- Canned black beans, drained and rinsed, 3.5 cups (2 cans)
- Frozen corn, thawed, 2 cups
- Unsalted/no salt added diced tomatoes, 3.5 cups (2 small cans), undrained
- Diced green chiles (I love the hatch valley flame roasted ones by 505 Chile from Costco! I keep a jar in the fridge all the time to add to stuff for flavor and spice), 1/4 cup
- Diced bell peppers, 2-3 of your choice (green, red, yellor or orange)
- Cumin, dried, 2 tsp
- Cilantro, dried, 2 TB
- Garlic powder, 2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp
- Salt, 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper, 1/4 tsp
Optional Toppings for Serving:
- Sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- Sliced green onions
- Shredded cheddar
- Tortilla chips
Stove Top Directions:
Brown chicken thighs for 2-3 minutes on each side in a lightly oiled pan large enough to add all ingredients to.
Mix together remainder of ingredients and pour over chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, flavors have blended and sauce has thickened, 20-30 minutes. Remove chicken, shred and return to pot if desired.
- Place chicken in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. Stir and/or shred chicken if desired.
- Serve over rice, on salad, in a tortilla – however it sounds good to you!