Salad, for breakfast? Why not….it’s a great way to get those veggie servings in early in the day, and fuel your activities for the day. For me, personally, as it heats up in Arizona, I find hot breakfasts less appealing many days. This is one I came up with last summer, but never wrote down until now. It also makes a great lunch, and if you have some fresh avocado to dice and add right before serving, do that too!
These instructions are for making the salads ahead in mason jars (affiliate link), but you can use any container that works for you, or just prep the ingredients and assemble right before eating as well.
Makes 4 servings.
- 1.5 TB honey
- 1.5 TB dijon mustard
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced (around 1/4 cup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 7 stalks of celery, sliced thin
- 16 oz container of grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups of baby spinach (around 1/2 of a 6 oz bag)
- 6 cups of romaine, sliced
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- Make dressing by blending all ingredients except salt and pepper thoroughly. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. If prepping salads ahead, divide dressing among 4 quart-sized mason jars (affiliate link). Otherwise store in a tightly sealed container until ready to serve.
- If making ahead, layer ingredients in jars bottom up, in the following order: dressing, celery, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, bacon.
- When ready to serve, shake jar and dump contents onto a plate, top with sliced hard-boiled eggs (and avocado if desired!). Enjoy!