Southwestern Skillet Stuffed Peppers (Serves 6)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (ground turkey and chicken also work)
- 6 bell peppers
- 1/2 c diced tomato
- 1/2 c diced onion
- 1/4 c chopped cilantro
- 1 Jalapéno, seeded, and diced (optional)
- 2 c cooked brown rice
- 2 c jarred salsa
- 4 oz shredded cheese (optional)
- Brown ground beef in the largest skillet you have.
- While beef is browning, remove tops from peppers (and save!) and cut the peppers in half.
- Remove stem from pepper tops, and dice remaining tops.
- Add diced pepper tops, tomatoes, onions, cilantro and Jalapéno to beef. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice and jarred salsa.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place peppers, cut side down on top of beef mixture and cover, cook 10-13 minutes, or until peppers are crisp-tender.
- Remove peppers to a serving platter or platters (cut side up), and divide beef mixture among them.
- Top with cheese and serve immediately!