I went on the hunt for a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup, but since I am awful at following recipes, this is only inspired by the Pioneer Woman’s recipe. Everyone ate this – even all 3 of the kids! And it reheated very well the next day as well.
We were supposed to have this dinner on a Thursday, but my day went sideways around 4:30 PM. At that point, I’d already cooked and shredded the chicken and chopped the other ingredients, so it came together really quickly as a meal the next day – so it can be at least partly made ahead!
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Stove Top/Serves 8)
- 1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 TB Taco Seasoning Blend
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large diced onion (I used purple – any would work)
- 2 diced bell peppers (I used yellow and orange – because that’s what I had, anything would work)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1, 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles (I used the Trader Joe’s brand), undrained
- 1, 14.5 oz can of no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 32 ounces of low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 4 TB of tomato paste
- 4 c hot water
- 1, 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 15 oz can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 TB of cornmeal
- 5 corn tortillas, cut into strips, 1/2 inch wide and 2-3 inches in length
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- diced avocado
- diced red onion
- sliced green onion
- salsa or pico de gallo
- shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle 2 tsp of olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of the Taco Seasoning Blend on both sides.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is done. Use 2 forks to shred chicken. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add onions, bell peppers and minced garlic. Stir and begin cooking, then add the rest of the Taco Seasoning Blend. Stir to combine. Add the shredded chicken and stir.
- Pour in tomatoes, chicken stock or broth, tomato paste, water and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Check seasonings, adding more if needed. Add salt here if needed.
- Turn off the heat and cover. Allow soup to sit 10-15 minutes before serving. 5 minutes before serving, stir in tortilla strips.