Ring in the New Year with special foods for good luck! My mother in law taught me that you have to eat black-eyed-peas on New Year’s Day. I grew up eating pork and greens for prosperity and luck. Over the years, we combined these traditions and generally have Carnitas and this this Cowboy Caviar made with black-eyed-peas and served over greens (your choice – kale, cabbage, lettuce etc.!)
Ingredients (makes 10-12 appetizer or 5-6 salad sized servings):
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce (or less if you like less spicy or have picky eaters!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large or 2 small avocadoes, diced
- 1 can (15 oz.) black-eyed peas
- 10 oz package of frozen corn, defrosted
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 pound Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Shredded cabbage or other greens if desired OR tortilla chips for dipping
- In a large bowl, mix vinegar, hot sauce, oil, garlic, lime juice and pepper. Peel, pit, and cut avocado into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to vinegar mixture and mix gently to coat.
- Drain and rinse peas. Add peas, corn, onions, cilantro, and tomatoes to avocado and mix gently to coat.
- Add salt to taste. Serve pea mixture with chips as an appetizer, or add cabbage or other greens and mix to make a salad.
Pingback: Crockpot/Slow Cooker Carnitas | Plan Prep Pour
Pingback: Meal Plan, January 1 through 8, 2017 | Plan Prep Pour
Pingback: Carnitas….revisited for 2018 | Plan Prep Pour
Pingback: 2018 Monday Meal Plan: Week 1 | Plan Prep Pour