For some reason, when I was meal planning this week, and I asked my kids what they wanted for dinner, there was a potato theme. But since I like to encourage other people’s input on the dinner plan, I rolled with it. So in addition to the Potato and Cauliflower Soup we had for dinner one night, we also had these delicious lightened up twice baked potatoes with the Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets from Skinnytaste.
Twice Baked Potatoes
Serves 6-12 – depending if you want a half or a whole. I found a half just fine as a side dish, but a whole one would make a meal with a salad.
- 6 small russet potatoes, 6-8 oz each
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1 c of nonfat, plain greek yogurt
- 1 c shredded sharp cheddar, divided
- 6 green onions, sliced, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Scrub potatoes thoroughly (I used my Eat Cleaner Produce Wash too!)
- Poke several holes in each potato with a fork.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until cooked through.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook bacon, allow to cool, crumble and set aside.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice lengthwise and, with a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the potatoes, leaving the skins and a thin layer of flesh intact. Place flesh in a large bowl. Place potato skins in a baking dish.
- Add greek yogurt, half of the cheese and half of the green onions to the bowl with the potato flesh.
- Using a hand mixer, blend until thoroughly combined.
- Fill the potato skins with the mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese and onions, and sprinkle with bacon.
- Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are heated through again, 15-25 minutes.