m not going to lie or spread my delusions with you am going to be honest with you about this recipe. It’s tasty. Delicious even. But I am not going to tell you you won’t miss the potatoes or that it tastes exactly like soup made solely with potatoes. I’ve seen a lot of recipes online that claim that. The people who wrote them? Well, they are totally wrong I respectfully disagree, because, newsflash: it tastes like potatoes and cauliflower. But if you like potatoes and cauliflower, it’s really good. My 6 year old ate it (I did not tell him about the cauliflower). I am still incredibly shocked. Even more shocking? My husband ate it (I did not tell him about the cauliflower – I like you guys better – OK, I told him after he ate it. I would have told him before he ate it, maybe, but I was asleep when he got home. I just saw the empty bowl this morning).
I served this with grilled cheese sandwiches and a veggie tray on the side. It was a nice warm meal on a cool, rainy day in Phoenix.
Potato and Cauliflower Soup (Serves 6)
- 1.5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 c of broth (chicken or veggie – I used low sodium to cut down on that)
- 1, 16 oz bag of riced cauliflower (all the stores have this with produce now! Makes it so easy. Otherwise you can finely chop 16 oz yourself)
- 1 c of milk (I used whole, but you could sub low fat or skim)
- 1/4 – 1/2 c diced fresh chives
- 1 c nonfat plain greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Place potatoes and chicken broth in a dutch oven or stock pot and heat to boiling. Cover, reduce heat and simmer, 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender and cooked through.
- While potatoes are cooking, place cauliflower in a single layer on a large baking dish (lined with foil and cooking spray for easy clean up!) and roast in oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring once, until lightly browned.
- Add roasted cauliflower and milk to potatoes. Return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add greek yogurt and chives and stir until blended. Simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if desired/as necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Optional toppings/mix ins:
- Shredded cheese
- Cooked, crumbled bacon
- Additional greek yogurt or sour cream