So this was actually going to be a Caesar Salad in a Jar. But I got all my ingredients out for Caesar dressing, including anchovy paste, and noticed my anchovy paste expired in July of 2012. Please note that I moved into this house in March 2012. So apparently the first thing I did, was buy anchovy paste, use some, and leave it in the fridge to rot……
Anyway, I already had the chicken cooked, the lettuce and kale chopped and washed, so salads with a pseudo, almost, but not really, Caesar dressing it is!
- 4 TB balsamic vinegar (or other vinegar of your choice)
- 3 TB dijon mustard
- 2 TB soy sauce
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 TB grated parmesan cheese
- 3 TB olive oil (I used lemon infused)
Using a blender, or immersion blender in a cup, or cuisinart or whatever….blend all ingredients except olive oil until smooth. Slowly add olive oil to the mix, blending in.
- 1.25 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 TB oregano
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 TB lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients other than chicken in a medium bowl. Add chicken and marinate for 30-60 minutes.
Remove chicken from marinade and broil for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- 4 c kale, chopped
- 4 c romaine lettuce, shredded or sliced thinly
- 2 yellow bell peppers (or whatever bell pepper you have, this is what was sitting in my fridge), chopped (tomatoes might be a nice addition too, but I was out!)
- 4 celery ribs, sliced thin
Divide ingredients evenly among 4 mason jars in the following order (bottom to top):
Cover tightly and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days. When ready to serve, shake thoroughly and dump into a plate or bowl. Or, you know, eat on the go standing up in the kitchen out of the jar when you have 3 minutes to spare before the bus comes, like I do.
If I don’t have anchovies/paste, I use Worcestershire sauce.
You know, I tried that in one version of the dressing, and it wasn’t working for me – I might have used too much though!
Pingback: Make Ahead Lunches (Subtitle: Why I Sometimes Don’t Eat Lunch – Part 2) | Plan Prep Pour