This is a crowd pleaser at my house – and much healthier than some of the deep fried versions available when eating out. I find a mixture of regular bread crumbs with Panko gives the chicken coating a crispier texture, but you can use all regular breadcrumbs as well. If you can’t find the Italian seasoned variety, just add a tsp or so of Italian seasoning blend to plain bread crumbs. I will have to add some pictures at a later date! I completely forgot to take any last time I made this.
- 4-6 (6 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces, pounded thin
- 1/2 c Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to brush cookie sheet
- 1-2 c of jarred or homemade marinara sauce (or more if you serve with pasta!)
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush the parchment lightly with olive oil.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Place 2 TB olive oil in a small bowl.
- Lightly brush the olive oil onto a piece of the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven, spoon 1-2 tbsp sauce over each piece of chicken, then top each with 1-2 TB shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Return chicken to oven and cook until cheese is melted, around 5 minutes.
- My kids like this over pasta, I like it with a salad on the side, or sometimes over spaghetti squash.